10 January 2015

“Why I Love the Young Adult Genre” - Guest Post by Author Sherry Soule



Today we have author Sherry Soule who has some exciting news to share with all of us! She has published a brand new upper YA book, LOST IN STARLIGHT (paranormal romance with a Sci-Fi concept) with exciting suspense and an awesome premise.

To help promote this interstellar love story, Sherry is doing this fun guest post on Flickering Lights to share the news with you fellow booklovers.
I want to thank her for writing this amazing post and sharing her views on one of the most popular book genre. Okay, I don't want to take all the spotlight here. I'll hand over the keyboard to our guest :D


Hi everybody, I’m author, Sherry Soule—waving from the SF Bay Area. Thanks for letting me visit today, it’s an honor to be a guest here and meet fellow booklovers.


YA (young adult) Lit is a general term used for books aimed at the teen market. Nowadays, these books can be read by anyone at any age. 


Ever since I was a child, I have recognized that books are a way to travel to other places and have incredible adventures. Even though I am older than the average teen reader, I’ve always loved reading Young Adult books and strongly believe you’re NEVER too old to read them. A great book is simply a great book regardless of its intended audience. I read both adult and young adult novels, and equally love both. 

One reason that I enjoy reading YA Lit is because most novels in this genre are fast-paced and thrilling, and will captivate teen and adult readers alike. The storylines are just as complex and imaginative as adult fiction, in my opinion. And teenage characters tend to have a much more hopeful perspective than adult literature, which draws me in—plus the fact that I’m really a big kid at heart. I also adore that there are so many books created into a series nowadays, so that you can continue to have additional adventures with your favorite characters. 


Could my love of YA Lit be simply because I’m just a teenager-at-heart?

Maybe. Actually, I am an adult with teenage children, and I love writing young adult fiction as much as I love reading it. Writing upper YA is fun and exhilarating, and I get to relive my youth in new and exciting ways. My stories will appeal to both adults and teens, and even college-aged kids. And like many of you, because I am a writer of YA literature, I’ve read hundreds of YA books and I can actually say that I enjoyed almost all of them.


Although I buy many of my books through Amazon, I am never embarrassed to buy YA novels in bookstores, or carry them around with me. I love the genre and always have and always will. To me, reading YA novels has to do with simple escapism, instant gratification, and mostly nostalgia. I say, “Live and let read!” If adults are reading YA books, it speaks to the quality of the genre, not the diminishing tastes of adults. “Reading is food for your brain.” I read many different genres in both young adult and adult novels, and I am no book snob.


We all have diverse tastes in literature. Most of you will have various genres that you love to read, and probably some of my favorite books are simply your forgotten reads. That is what makes reading as a whole, so fascinating. Each one of us will enjoy different types of characters, genres, plots, and, of course, a writer’s voice, the way only they can tell a story.


And I don’t know about you, but I need some romance in almost every book I read. And if you’re a hopeless romantic at heart, then you’ll enjoy reading any of my books.


At its core my new YA novel, LOST IN STARLIGHT, is basically a love story about two lonely teenagers finding each other and how their “forbidden” friendship changes both of their lives. Sure, there is an element of danger regarding this star-crossed romance, but they are both young and impulsive with their hearts. Who isn’t at that age? 


Thus, LOST IN STARLIGHT is the first book that I’ve ever written that focuses mostly on romance rather than any paranormal baddies trying to kill the heroine or having the plot center around a supernatural mystery to solve. And I think the heroine of my new series, Sloane, is rather unique. To me, she’s not your average “Mary Sue” or flawless YA heroine. She has some self-esteem issues, but she’s also headstrong and gutsy, with an eccentric fashion sense. 


Thank you for letting me chat about my love of young adult literature. I hope you enjoyed this post. Now go feed your mind and read a book! Preferably one of mine. :-D


About the Book:

 
Sherry Soule


High school is tough. Romance with a sexy alien—even tougher.

Star reporter Sloane Masterson knows she has one helluva story when she witnesses hottie Hayden Lancaster bending forks with his mind.

Like any good journalist, Sloane sets out to uncover the truth, even if it includes a little stalking. When the superhuman feats start to pile up and the undeniable heat rises between them, Hayden has no choice but to reveal his secret: he’s an alien hybrid.

They’re as different as night and day—she’s a curvy, purple-haired, horror junkie and he’s a smoking hot, antisocial, brainiac—yet the intense fascination between them refuses to go away. Even at Hayden’s insistence that dating each other is “off limits” and dangerous, their fiery attraction threatens to go supernova.

Now Sloane’s dealing with creepy government agents, über snobby extraterrestrials, and a psycho alien ex-girlfriend out for revenge. After a crash course on the rules of interstellar dating, Sloane must decide if their star-crossed romance is worth risking her own life....


Buy LOST IN STARLIGHT (Volume 1) @







About Sherry Soule:


Sherry Soule lives with her family and one very spoiled black cat in the San Francisco Bay Area. She is the successful author of the adult novel, “Immortal Eclipse” and the popular YA series: Spellbound. Sherry writes thrilling tales of romance and suspense, often mingled with a dash of the mystical and a splash of trendy fashion. Her love of literature began when she was a young girl and it has continued throughout her life.


Places you can cyberstalk Sherry Soule:

Amazon Profile:  http://amazon.com/Sherry-Soule/e/B00596ANCA
Official Author Blog:  http://sherrysoule.blogspot.com/

Twitter - @SherrySoule:  http://twitter.com/sherrysoule



2 comments:

  1. I'm not that big of a YA fan though some of my favourite series can be termed as YA that's weird :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird :D
      I used to be not that fond of YA too, but I guess you have to read the right books to really appreciate the genre!

      Delete

Hello *waving* I love hearing from you guys, but as we can't see each other face to face and talk, we'll just have to make do with our keyboards! So, the keys are all yours! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MS2