11 November 2014

Book Discussions : The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17235026-the-girl-with-all-the-gifts?ac=1
My Synopsis :
All her life, Melanie has only known her cell and the classroom. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class.When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointed at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her, but she has no idea why. She doesn't know that she is dangerous yet also special. When she starts to question everything around her, the truth uncovered might rock her world. Is she really the Pandora she thinks she is?

Theme Song : Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

I saw a review for this book and decided to give it a try. It's been a very long time since I read something like this. When I say this book has a lot of gore, I mean it. In the review that was mentioned and because of that, my defenses went up. I didn't even blink an eye when I read the grossest scenes. If I hadn't been given a heads up, I probably would've felt like puking at least once while reading this book (Thank God!!!). But even with that, this book was Awesome!!!

Things I liked
  • The writing is beautiful!!! I loved it!!!! (I have never highlighted so much as I did in this book, except for The Fifth Wave!!!) The author totally nailed it with the analogies!!!! Props to  M.R. Carey!!
  • The plot is really, really good and intense!!The scenes played out in my mind like I was watching a movie and that's an important aspect in a book.
  • The characters are nice and complex, especially Melanie. I loved her and could connect with her. (Oh and Sergeant Parks is awesome!!)
  • When shit hit the fan, I could feel the tension.
  •  The gore felt necessary and I loved how the author didn't shy away.

Things I didn't like :
  • Miss Justineau (How the hell is her name pronounced??)!!! I don't know why I hated her a lot!!! I wanted to bash her in the head even more than that Doctor woman (Forgot her name, something Cadwell I guess) and I couldn't connect with her. She kept getting everyone in trouble.
  • The love story (if you could even call it that), I didn't get it. I knew why they both clicked, but it felt outta nowhere when it happened. Too Quick. (Yeah, I know, the story had bigger problems to deal with, but...)

The Ending :
Where to begin......
It went in a Nature finds it's own way kinda thing but it's hard to imagine a future in that world. It gave a very good message, yes, but I was waiting for this awesome finale and it was like "This happened...Yeah, over...", abrupt.... I did not see the ending coming! Though I was a bit disappointed, I understand why the author concluded it that way. It was more practical and it made me look at these sorta books with a new perspective.


Side Note
Read with an open mind and you would actually enjoy it like I did, even with the minor setbacks. I also learned that Melanie meant the black girl and Pandora meant the girl with all the gifts (hence the title), which I didn't know and liked those little pieces of information a LOT! I also this this book would make a GREAT movie!


What is your favorite sci-fi book or movie you've ever read or watched? Mine is definitely Star Trek. 
Comment and let me know! Thank you for reading. Please share your thoughts :)
Logo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello *waving* I love hearing from you guys, but as we can't see each other face to face and talk, we'll just have to make do with our keyboards! So, the keys are all yours! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MS2